Monday, November 3, 2008

Election Day Personals

After much resistance I became . . . a blogger! So on this soap box, on November 3, 2008, I am standing to make a statement: Lesbians and Gays, more specifically to me, black Lesbians and Gays do get MARRIED. Just because the state does not recognize our unions does not mean that we don't find the ONE and want to celebrate that with friends and supportive family.

The amendments on the ballots of California, Arizona, and Florida are seeking to enshrine in the constitutions of these states the denial of rights to a segment of the population. Now living in Chicago none of these amendments and propositions affect me, but after six years as an undergraduate in Florida, I have many "family" friends up and down the state. Some who are in long term relationships, and some who one day would like to get married in the state, and country, they call home.

It's not just about the word marriage. I'm getting married no matter what the State of Illinois calls it because I will be making the ultimate commitment to my fiance. It is about the 1000+ rights that accompany the word marriage in the eyes of the government. Even before our "unmarried" wedding we have to prove that we are committed to only each other for me to receive her domestic partner health benefits. I have to pay the Cook County Circuit Court $318 to change my last name, plus more BS and money than anyone could imagine after we are "unmarried" married.

So as I step off my soapbox and reapply my MAC Lipglass, if you live in Cali, Florida, or Arizona please vote no on your respective ballots. Thank you!

1 comments:

Reesha November 3, 2008 at 7:09 PM  

You have my support 100%. I really don't understand the opposition. It's sad. One of my best friends is going to have to relocate when she's ready to wed. It's effed up.